Mankato Public Safety responded to a fire at 110 East Campus View Street at 10:51 Monday morning.
Upon arrival, firefighters extinguished a fire in an apartment caused by unattended cooking. There was smoke damage throughout the apartment. A tenant received non-life-threatening injuries. Damages are estimated at $8,000.
The most common cause of local fires is unattended cooking. Basic prevention is to monitor cooking at all times. If a fire occurs, turn the stove off and call 911. If it’s a grease fire, place a lid on pan or use a fire extinguisher (and do not attempt to move pan with fire).