Because there always seems to be a national “something” day. Today is National Spongecake Day. Here are some random facts about Spongecake.
- Gervase Markham (1568-1637), English poet and author, recorded the earliest sponge cake recipe in English in 1615.
- The new items that they introduced were called “biscuits,” though they were the forerunner of what we now consider to be sponge cake.
- By the middle of the 18th century, yeast had fallen into disuse as a raising agent for cakes in favor of beaten eggs.
- These sponge cakes were most likely thin, crisp cakes (more like modern cookies).
- During the renaissance, Italian cooks became famous for their baking skills and were hired by households in both England and France.