Following decades of legal battles, the state is returning 114 acres of land to the Lower Sioux Indian Community. The transfer of southern property along the Minnesota River was finalized and made official on February 12th by the Minnesota Historical Society. The decision comes four years after it was approved by the state legislature. Officials from the tribe, which counts about one-thousand registered members, called the transfer a way to continue healing and reclaim the relationship with their land. Cansa’yapi, as the land is called, marks where the U.S.-Dakota War of 1862 began.