Minnesota-based dairy processors and creameries came out in full force, showing off their craft during the Minnesota State Fair Butter and Cheese Contest.
This year, 13 butter and cheesemakers entered 71 products in five categories in the Minnesota State Fair Butter and Cheese Contest. Entries were evaluated on a scale of one to 100. This year’s winners are:
· Continuous Churn Butter: Holly Ulrich of AMPI, New Ulm, with a score of 99.100
· Cheddar Block Cheese: Timothy Stearns of Land O’Lakes, Kiel, Wis., with a score of 98.683
· Cheddar Barrel Cheese: Justin Larson of Bongards, Perham, with a score of 99.183
· Miscellaneous Cheese: MJ Smoke Cheddar Power by Shane Dell of First District Association (FDA), Litchfield, with a score of 99.000
· Artisan Cheese: Plain Chevre from Stickney Hill Dairy, Cold Spring, with a score of 99.083